The Choice Matrix requires students to evaluate one or more row items using a set of column options.
Figure 1: Choice matrix question example.
Create a question
Enter a question in the Compose Question area. List the Choice Matrix stems and click on +Add for each new stem. Click on the trash can icon beside a stem to remove it.
Under the Options heading, enter choice matrix response options, e.g. True/False, Yes/No etc. Click on +Add once for each new option. See example in Figure 2. The button to the left of each field allows you to re-order how the Stems appear to the student, through simple drag and drop.
Figure 2: Choice matrix basic parameters.
In order to configure a valid response for the question follow these steps:
- In the Set correct answer(s), enter a value in the Point(s) box to initialize a mark for the question. The default is set to 1.
- Underneath, you will see the choice matrix you just created. To indicate correct responses simply click on the correct response option for each stem as shown in Figure 3.
- If the question has more than one correct response option per stem enable Multiple Responses. This option can be found above the More options button.
Figure 3: Choice matrix question validation.
The following scoring types are available in Choice Matrix questions:
- Exact Match - Student must answer all parts of the question correct to receive a mark.
- Partial Match Per Response - Each correct response element will be awarded an individual score.
- Partial Match - Each correct response element will be scored individually and the overall question score will be divided between responses.
Figure 4: Choice matrix scoring types.
Other Scoring options:
- Unscored/Practice usage type - Enabling this option will remove all scoring from the question.
- Penalty point(s) - The value entered here indicates marks that will be deducted from the student for an incorrect response.
- Minimum score if attempted - The value entered here indicates marks that will be awarded to the student for an attempt.
- Check answer button - If this is enabled, a "Check answer button" will appear to the student alongside the question; clicking this button will indicate to the student if their answer is correct or incorrect, but it will not tell them the correct response. This can be useful for informal assessment.
- Check answer attempts - The value entered here will indicate how many times the student can use the "Check answer button". A value of 0 indicates an infinite number of times.
Under the More Options menu you will find the Layout section where you can configure question style options:
Layout - Table
Layout - Inline
Stem Numeration: available for Block layout. Options include: Number, Uppercase Alpha and Lowercase Alpha as shown below.
Stem Numeration - Number
Stem Numeration - Upper
Stem Numeration - Lower
In order to add a title to a stem column, insert it in the Stem Column Title. The title will appear above the stems row. To add a title to the response options column add it in the Option Row Title.
- Stem Width defines the width of the stem column and Options Width sets the width of each option column. Both values should be inserted in pixels.
- Show horizontal lines under stems enables horizontal lines underneath each stem in the choice matrix.