This guide covers how to use the Action Builder to configure action settings on your Item. Using the Action Builder enables you to
- Autoplay audio and video
- Auto-record audio
- Disable navigation
- Disable the student from interacting with the Question
The Action Builder is only available to users of the Author Site and can be found in the advanced tab in the blue sidebar. See Figure 1.
Figure 1: The Action builder.
Preparing to use the Action Builder
In order to use the Action Builder, you must have populated and saved your Item with at least one Question or Feature. If you wish to, you can now include Audio (along with the Calculator, Protractor, or Ruler) in your Question/Feature, embedded as a Simple Feature.
To embed a Simple Feature, go to the toolbar in the Rich Text Field, and click on the Simple Feature button.
Figure 2: The Simple Feature option.
Selecting an Event
Once your Item is populated to your satisfaction, click the Add button in the Action Builder to start the action configuration.
Figure 3: Add the first action section to the Action Builder.
You must select either Item event or Widget event. Select the Item event option if you want the action to be triggered when the Item loads.
Figure 4: Selecting a Widget event.
Otherwise, select Widget event; this will trigger an action when something happens to a Widget within the Item - you must specify this Widget in the Reference drop down. Depending on the Widget chosen, you may see some different Event options:
Figure 5: Selecting a Widget event.
- Widget changes - An action will be triggered when the student interacts with the Widget.
- Widget completes - The widget completes
- Playback is started - When audio or video playback is started, this will trigger an action.
- Playback is paused - When audio or video is paused, this will trigger an action.
- Playback is resumed - When audio or video is resumed, this will trigger an action.
- Playback completes - When audio or video is finished playing, this will trigger an action.
- Playback is stopped - When audio or video is stopped by the student, this will trigger an action.
Selecting an Action
Now that you have configured what Event will trigger your Action, you must specify the Action.
You can select either Item action or Widget action. An Item action will be performed by the whole Item:
Figure 6: Selecting an Item action.
- Go to next item - The Assessment will navigate to the next Item.
- Pause item - The whole Item (all Questions/Features) will be paused.
- Resume item - The whole Item (all Questions/Features) will be resumed.
- Enable navigation - Navigation will be enabled. Use this to enable navigation again after disabling it.
- Disable navigation - Navigation will be disabled. Use this if you do not want the student to navigate away from the Item, e.g. while some Audio plays.
Alternatively, an Action can be performed by a single Widget:
Figure 7: Selecting a Widget action.
- Enable widget or Disable widget - Disabling the Widget will stop the student from being able to interact with it - use Enable widget when you want to allow interaction again.
- Start recording - The audio recorder will start recording the student.
- Pause recording - The audio recorder will pause itself.
- Resume recording - The audio recorder will resume recording.
- Stop recording - The audio recorder will stop recording.
- Play response - The student response will be auto-played back to the student.
- Pause response - Playback of the student response will be automatically paused.
- Resume response - Playback of the student response will automatically resume again.
- Stop response - Playback of the student response will be automatically stopped.
- Play/Pause/Resume/Seek/Stop - These commands are related to the Audio and Video players - each command can be configured to happen automatically.